Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy kids

After my seventh child was born I felt so exhausted. Just thinking of trying to school four grades while nursing a baby and watching two toddlers was an overwhelming thought.
I decided that I'd enroll the four older kids in the local schools so I could get some help educating them, while I focused on the other areas of raising children.
I had no idea what a night mare it would be for me.
The list of supplies that I had to provide! The doctors visits, paper work and lists of rules was overwhelming!

As the six months wore on I realized that the school system had more flaws then it had help in educating young people. Everyday the boys would come home and I would have to teach for hours  because they didn't get the help they needed at school. The worst part is what I saw happening emotionally to each of them. They were growing more angry and defensive, and each week they seemed to be a little more rebellious.

I was really nervous telling the kids that I was pulling them out of public school. I wasn't sure they would understand, but they rejoiced when I told them. Their attitudes at home became a lot more peaceful and they became more helpful and sweet again.

The school experience was fun in some areas but I think the negatives out weighed the positive .
Each one had their challenges with bullies at school, teachers that are stretched too far and they had too many after school expectations.
I rejoice in having my Nathan and Jay back. Both boys are a lot more relaxed and happy with the thought of being home.

0 comments: